Re: Problems with precision & ScalarMap

When I first started VisAD all internal calculations
were in doubles, in order to avoid precision problems.
But I had to change that because it just ate too much
memory (Java and VisAD eat too much memory even using
floats).

The current default DataRenderers use doubles internally
only for RealType.Time values. Propoerly displaying
non-Time values that are too large for floats will
require new DataRenderers. The system is designed to
allow applications to include their own custom
DataRenderers, but they are complex to write.

One possible work-around for your problem is too create
a RealType with a default Unit so that in that Unit your
numerical values are small enough for floats (for example,
a distance Unit of 10^100 meter). VisAD display logic
works in the default Units of RealTypes.