Re: Improvements on Graph Axis labelling ?

Hi Corne-

I think my previous attempt failed, so I apologize if you get multiple
copies of this.

AxisScale was recently updated to allow:

1) For 2-D displays, the YAxis labels are drawn with the tops of the
numbers (or letters) pointing in the POS Y direction (instead of NEG X
as before).

2) Titles in 2-D are drawn up along the axis (tops of letters pointing
in NEG X direction)

(Both of these are more like the way packages like Excel, IDL, etc)

3) AxisScales can be drawn on either the PRIMARY or SECONDARY sides of
the axis (PRIMARY is the default) in 2-D and 3-D.  Tick marks can be
drawn on either side of the axis as well.

4) The title is now offset from the labels by one line in 2-D and 3-D to
allow labels on intermediate tick marks.

5) The user can set a LabelTable (HashTable) of Double values (key) and
label string (value) to label points along the axis.  The default is
still to label the top and bottom tick marks.

Here are a couple of example programs that show the new capabilities
are:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/dmurray/ScaleTest.java
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/dmurray/MapTest.java

The output from MapTest is at:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/dmurray/maptest.jpg

See the javadoc for AxisScale at:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~dglo/visad/visad/AxisScale.html

Let me know if there are any questions or problems.

Cheers,

Don