Re: SpreadSheet's RMI

Hi Gianluca,

The RMI features of the SpreadSheet are designed to allow for real-time
collaboration.  One machine running a SpreadSheet RMI server can connect
with many other machines running SpreadSheets so that all of them
visualize the same data simulateously, and each user can manipulate the
visualization in real time.  Although it would be conceivable to keep a
SpreadSheet RMI server running all the time with your netCDF data
loaded, allowing others to connect to view your results, such an
approach is probably not best, since those users could make changes to
your visualizations.

Your idea of posting ss files for others is a good one, but there are
a couple of things to watch out for.  First, a SpreadSheet ss file
does not contain the original data set, only the cell configuration
required to visualize it in the desired manner.  Your users would still
need to download your netCDF files separately to properly visualize the
data.  Second, if a user's local path to the netCDF files is different
than yours, that path needs to be corrected in the ss file, or the
SpreadSheet won't find the netCDF dataset upon opening the ss file.

Let me know if you have further questions about this.

-Curtis