Re: how do you customise a basemap

Hi John,

> I would like to know how to develop your own geographical maps. VisAD
> provides a map of the world, in MiDas format? I would like to know how you
> can either change this world map or be able to create your own.

Maps in VisAD are generally represented as UnionSets of
Gridded2DSets with manifold dimension = 1.

visad.data.mcidas.MapForm (and BaseMapAdapter in the same
package) read McIDAS map files into such UnionSets. There
are also classes in Unidata's Metapps package for reading
Shape files into such UnionSets.

You can use any map data to create an appropriate UnionSet.
See the visad/examples/Rivers.java program for an example.