Re: Volume rendering of Irregular3DSet

Hi Bob,

I don't think your email made it to the list - rejected by our
majordom as too long because of the attachments.

The problem with trasnparency is that it only works right when
the polygons are sorted in back to front order, but the sort
order depends on how the user rotates the view. The Java3D
team has plans to add dynamic sorting, but its a very hard
problem and won't appear in Java3D for a while.

This same sorting problem is the reason the volume rendering
needs six rather than three different sets of planes. But the
sort is more complex for iso-surfaces because they are irregular.

You might be able to do something with:

  display.getGraphicsModeControl.setTransparencyMode(
     javax.media.j3d.TransparencyAttributes.SCREEN_DOOR);

It didn't work in an early Java3D implementation, but I
haven't tried it recently. Screen door transparency
avoids the sorting problems (we use it in Vis5D). Let me
know what success you have - I'll help if I can.