Re: mapping xyAxis to map

When you read an OUTLxxxx file using a VisAD FileAdapter, the Data object
returned is a UnionSet of Gridded2DSets which have a MathType of (Longitude,
Latitude).  What is inside are arrays of Latitude/Longitude pairs which follow
geopolitical boundaries; each set represents one "segment".  As long as you
have mapped Latitude to, say, the yaxis and Longitude to the xaxis, you should
be fine.  (You can, of course, map Latitude to Display.Latitude and Longitude
to Display.Longitude, in which case you get a spherical-type projection,
instead of the rectilinear one.)

Here's a simple example that I cobbled together from one of the examples:

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import javax.swing.border.*;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.rmi.RemoteException;
import visad.*;
import visad.util.*;
import visad.data.mcidas.*;
import visad.java3d.*;
import visad.bom.*;

public class SimpleMap {

  public static void main (String[] args)
         throws VisADException, RemoteException, IOException {

    // construct a 3-D display
    DisplayImpl display = new DisplayImplJ3D("display");

    // define display coordinates
    display.addMap(new ScalarMap(RealType.Latitude, Display.YAxis));
    display.addMap(new ScalarMap(RealType.Longitude, Display.XAxis));

    // read McIDAS map file
    BaseMapAdapter baseMapAdapter =
                new BaseMapAdapter("../data/mcidas/OUTLUSAM");
    Data map = baseMapAdapter.getData();

    // link map to display
    DataReference maplinesRef = new DataReferenceImpl("MapLines");
    maplinesRef.setData(map);
    display.addReference(maplinesRef);

    // create frame (window) on screen
    JFrame frame = new JFrame("Basemap  Display");
    frame.addWindowListener(new WindowAdapter() {
      public void windowClosing(WindowEvent e) {
        System.exit(0);
      }
    });

    // add 3-D display to panel in frame
    JPanel panel = new JPanel();
    panel.setLayout(new BoxLayout(panel, BoxLayout.Y_AXIS));
    panel.add(display.getComponent());

    // finish off frame
    frame.getContentPane().add(panel);
    frame.setSize(500, 700);
    frame.setVisible(true);

    // and now exit - leaving display, color widget,
    // map and image to take care of themselves
  }
}