Re: Java 3D version 1.2

Hi Jeff,

> Is there any work being done to update VisAD to work with version 1.2 of
> the Java3D libraries?

The problem is that the Java3D version 1.2 (and 1.1.3) code
throws ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsExceptions when we use it with
VisAD. We really want to take advantage of version 1.2's
more efficient use of memory and other features, but can't
use it as long as it causes VisAD applications to crash.

When people send us stack dumps of Exceptions generated by
bugs in VisAD (hasn't happened in a long time, we're happy
to report) we usually have the fix on our server within 24
hours. With Java3D fixes to such (usually minor) bugs have
to wait for the next version release, which may take a year
(and which may have a new crop of bugs).

Minor bugs are unavoidable. The key is to get the fixes out
quickly. I have talked with Sun about finding some way to
change their procedure for fixing minor (but show stopper)
bugs.