Re: Reading Grib data or converting.

All,

We have developed the ability to ingest GRIB data sets into a Java data
object, and have recently mapped this object over to VISAD for display.
The programmer I had working on this left for awhile, but should be
back on board next week  - at which time we could probably make this
available.

Related tools we have ...
1) A generic GRIB library written in C with a clean encoding/decoding
   API.  This is made available at:
    http://mel.dmso.mil/mel_tools/user_software.html
   under the "MEL GRIB encoders/decoders" link, but we used a more
   recent version, that has not been posted yet, for this effort.
2) A Java data object called FiveDimRep that is similar in form to the
   VIS5D data model.  It can be populated by GRIB (via JNI calls to #1)
   or from other sources such as NWP models or a DB via JDBC.
3) A VISAD-based application (I think it leveraged JMET) that loads
   GRIB data into our FDR object and performs various VISAD rendering
   operations.

So there a couple of hook points.  #1 above could be used to build a
new VISAD data loading capability for GRIB.  This could leverage #2
above (as we have done) or not.  #3 is just a sample app that may or
may not be of interest to anyone.  All are potentially available to
all, but probably not until sometime next week.  Request that
those interested contact me offline and we will work out an approach
for handling GRIB that we can than post back to this forum for review.

Regards,

Steve Lowe
SAIC, Hampton