drawing a box when dagging mouse

Hello,
I want to draw a box in a 2D graphic when dragging
mouse. (mouse clicked ->first point, mouse dragged->draw the box,
mouse released-> end drawing)

I'd want to know if I there is a method that changes appearence of
cursor when dragging mouse, in order to draw the window... or if it
is more difficult than this. In the second case, where should I draw the

box? When using a DisplayImplJ2D, the graphic is drawn in a
VisADCanvasJ2D,
but it seems that ther's no way to access to the canvas...

Should I choose another solution, like drawing the bow in the glassPane
of the JFrame
containing my graphic?

Thank you...

                   Vladimir ALTUNA - Ste SEGIME

RENAULT - Service 18741       tel : (33) 1 30 03 28 00
TCR AST 0 50                  fax : (33) 1 34 95 36 30
1 Avenue du Golf
78288 Guyancourt
France