Redirecting DISPLAY of visAD to linux box

Hello,

I am having a problem displaying visAD on a remote
machine.  Specifically, I am running  visAD on a sun machine (5.7)
with DISPLAY set to my Linux box (Linux 2.2.16-22). I get
the message below about unsupported 16-bit depth though
'xdpyinfo' appears to indicate the linux machine supports the
16-bit depth:

     depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 4, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 15, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
    depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32

Our visAD visualization client does not use Java3D.  Any
suggestions?

best regards

beth

   cancer% run-vis
   Font specified in font.properties not found [-urw-itc
zapfdingbats-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-sun-fontspecific]

   Received Data
   Exception occurred during event dispatching:
   java.lang.InternalError: Unsupported 16-bit depth

           at sun.awt.motif.X11Graphics.X11LockViewResources(Native Method)
           at sun.awt.motif.X11Graphics.lock(X11Graphics.java, Compiled Code)
           at sun.java2d.loops.LockableRaster.<init(LockableRaster.java,
Compiled Code)
           at
sun.java2d.loops.RasterOutputManager$RenderImageCachedState.getDstLR(RasterOutputManager.java,
 Compiled Code)
           at
sun.java2d.loops.RasterOutputManager.renderImage(RasterOutputManager.java,
Compiled Code)
           at sun.java2d.SunGraphics2D.renderingPipeImage(SunGraphics2D.java,
Compiled Code)
           at sun.java2d.SunGraphics2D.drawImage(SunGraphics2D.java, Compiled
Code)
           at sun.awt.motif.X11Graphics.drawImage(X11Graphics.java, Compiled
Code)
           at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java, Compiled Code)
           at java.awt.Container.paint(Container.java, Compiled Code)
           at sun.awt.motif.MComponentPeer.handleEvent(MComponentPeer.java,
Compiled Code)
           at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java, Compiled
Code)
           at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java, Compiled
Code)
           at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java, Compiled Code)
           at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java, Compiled Code)
           at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java, Compiled Code)
           at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEvent(EventDispatchThread.java, Compiled
Code)
           at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java,
Compiled Code)
           at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java,
Compiled Code)

--

Beth Plale                      beth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Georgia Institute of Technology 1 404 894 1540