FITS file access

I'm looking at using VisAD for applications in astronomy and STP. FITS is a
common format in both so I thought I'd try that first. However I'm having
some problems.

Firstly it appears to fail with a 'No data' exception when the file is not a
multiple of 2880 bytes. This is permitted by the standard and should be
treated as end-of-file.

Secondly it doesn't appear to handle arrays within tables:
Ignoring assumed 6-char String column
FitsAdapter.buildBTRange: Column 0 was short 10 of 10 rows
FitsAdapter.copyColumn: Punting on wide column ([I)
FitsAdapter.buildBTRange: Column 6 was short 10 of 10 rows
FitsAdapter.copyColumn: Punting on wide column ([I)
FitsAdapter.buildBTRange: Column 7 was short 10 of 10 rows

These columns have format 6A, 4J, 4J respectively.

Are these problems known about? Is the FITS support still active?

Thanks, Steve.