RE: shapescale

> Hi Henner,
>
> > i have two functions:
> > a) bucket       -> standard deviation
> > b) index                -> (bucket, deviation)          // where i mean
by
> > deviation: observed value - average
> >
> > and i want the values of function a) to be plotted as a thick line over
and
> > under the corresponding bucket's 0-value
> > and the sample points of function b) just as points in the same display.
of
> > course i want both to use the same scale on the y-axis. so that one can
> > clearly see when the deviation of a sample point is bigger than the
standard
> > deviation.
> >
> > it seems that i can't use the same RealTypes for mappings to ShapeScale
and
> > YAxis, because that way the shapes of function a) are drawn at the
> > corresponding y-value instead of 0. if i use different RealTypes instead
> > there seems to be no way to scale the shapes of function a to match the
> > scale of function b) (i mean if if standard deviation is 0.5 and the
> > observed deviation is also 0.5 the point of function b) should be
exactly on
> > top of the shape).
>
> You can use ScalarMaps of different RealTypes YAxis, if you
> call ScalarMap.setRange(low, hi) for both ScalarMaps with
> identical low and hi values.
>
> Please let me know if this doesn't solve your problem.

no, sorry, that doesn't solve my problem, because the range of a RealType
mapped to ShapeScale only seems to affect the size of the shape. if the
minimum of the observed deviations is (let's say) -1 and i'd set this also
as minimum for the range concerning ShapeScale nearly all the shapes would
have same maximum lengths, because they represent (always positive) standard
deviations (for example a std dev of 0 should be represented by bar of
length 0, but it would be longer that way, because 0 is "much" bigger then
the minimum (see assumption above).
i'll try to explain my problem a bit more understandably:

- i have a sequence of sampled data from which i compute the average and the
standard deviation.
- i want to plot that standard deviation as a bar (a line from +sigma to
-sigma cutting the x-axis vertically). lets say its 1.
- i want to plot a single point x (perhaps a new point of the considered
sequence) with the same scale. if x < 1 it should be plotted on the bar, if
x = -1 it should be plotted exactly at the lower end and if  x = 1 exactly
at the upper end of the bar.

> Cheers,
> Bill
> Bill Hibbard, SSEC, 1225 W. Dayton St., Madison, WI  53706
> hibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/vis.html

thanks again

henner