Re: Delaunay and Java3D

Hi Desiree,

> Hi thanks for your help, VisAd is working now, and I tried to implement
> your hints.
> So after the Triangulation I get an object terrain (class FlatField), how
> does the geometry of this object looks like?
> For implementing some Java3D-Objects for my application, I guess I need
> some information about triangles, so that I know these coordinates go
> together to build a triangle for building a 3D-object.
> Sorry I am not experienced with Triangulations, am I wrong?
> How would I got to build my 3D-obejcts?
> . . .
> > Assume that the locations of your points are defined in two
> > arrays:
> >
> >   float[] x_locations, y_locations;
> >
> > and the terrain heights at these points are defined in the
> > array:
> >
> >   float[] heights;
> >
> > Then you can create a terrain as a FlatField like this:
> >
> >   RealType x = RealType.getRealType("x");
> >   RealType y = RealType.getRealType("y");
> >   RealType height = RealType.getRealType("height");
> >   RealTupleType xy = new RealTupleType(x, y);
> >   FunctionType terrain_type = new FunctionType(xy, height);
> >
> >   Irregular2DSet set
> >     new Irregular2DSet(xy, new float[][] {x_locations, y_locations});
> >   FlatField terrain = new FlatField(terrain_type, set);
> >   terrain.setSamples(new float[][] {heights});

To display your terrain, you construct a display, add some
ScalarMaps, add the terrain, and add your display to a GUI:

  DisplayImplJ3D display = new DisplayImplJ3D("name");
  display.addMap(new ScalarMap(x, Display.XAxis));
  display.addMap(new ScalarMap(y, Display.YAxis));
  display.addMap(new ScalarMap(height, Display.ZAxis));
  DataReferenceImpl terrain_ref = new DataReferenceImpl("terrain");
  terrain_ref.setData(terrain);
  display.addReference(terrain_ref);
  JFrame frame = ...
  . . .
  frame.getContentPane().add(display.getComponent());
  . . .

You don't need to worry about constructing a 3-D object.
That is a service provided by VisAD.

Please study the tutorials and examples.