Re: installation problems

>Iam unable to unpack the viaAD jar file. Please can u give me the
>  detailed steps for installation of VisAD for windowsNT.

There are two ways to install VisAD.  One of them uses the
precompiled visad.jar file, giving you access to the complete VisAD
API, but not to VisAD's source code (meaning you cannot make
changes to VisAD itself).  The other installs VisAD's complete
source code into its own directory structure and requires you to
compile that source code yourself.

Below are detailed instructions for both of these installation
types, which will be added to the VisAD FAQ.

-Curtis

-----------------

Installing VisAD using visad.jar:

1) Install JDK 1.2 or JDK 1.3 from Sun's web site at:
       http://java.sun.com/jdk/

2) Optionally, install Java3D 1.1.3 from Sun's Java3D web site at:
       http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/index.html
    Make sure you get 1.1.3, not 1.2, because 1.2 has several bugs
    that make many features of VisAD unusable.  Run the examples
    that come with Java3D to verify that it is working correctly.

3) Download the visad.jar file from the VisAD web site at:
       http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/visad.html
    Choose a safe directory where you can store the file.

4) Set your CLASSPATH environment variable to point to the location
    of the visad.jar file that you just downloaded.
      - On a Solaris machine, add the following line to your
        login script:
           set CLASSPATH /home/username/visad.jar
        where /home/username/visad.jar is your visad.jar from
        step 3.  Then, log out and back in again.
      - On a Windows NT machine, right-click My Computer, choose
        Properties, go to the Environment tab, and add a variable
        called CLASSPATH with value:
           C:\visad.jar
        where C:\visad.jar is your visad.jar from step 3.
        Then, reboot your machine and log in again.
      - On a Windows 9X machine, add the following line to your
        AUTOEXEC.BAT file:
           set CLASSPATH=C:\visad.jar
        where C:\visad.jar is your visad.jar from step 3.
        Then, reboot your machine.

5) Try running the VisAD SpreadSheet to verify your installation:
       java visad.ss.SpreadSheet
    You should see a complex GUI with four black display panels.
    If you installed Java3D, you will be able to visualize data in
    VisAD in 3-D.  Otherwise, you will be limited to 2-D only.

-----------------

Installing VisAD from Java source code:

1) Install JDK 1.2 or JDK 1.3 from Sun's web site at:
       http://java.sun.com/jdk/

2) Install Java3D 1.1.3 from Sun's Java3D web site at:
       http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/index.html
    Make sure you get 1.1.3, not 1.2, because 1.2 has several bugs
    that make many features of VisAD unusable.  Run the examples
    that come with Java3D to verify that it is working correctly.

3) Choose a directory as your base directory for Java source files.
      - On a Solaris machine, it might be:
           ~username/java
        where ~username is your user name.
      - On a Windows machine, it might be:
           C:\Java
        where C:\ is your hard drive.
    Create this directory if it does not already exist.

4) Set your CLASSPATH environment variable to equal the chosen
    directory along with the current directory (.).
      - On a Solaris machine, add the following line to your
        login script:
           set CLASSPATH /home/username/java;.
        where /home/username/java is your directory from step 3.
        Then, log out and back in again.
      - On a Windows NT machine, right-click My Computer, choose
        Properties, go to the Environment tab, and add a variable
        called CLASSPATH with value:
           C:\Java;.
        where C:\Java is your directory from step 3.
        Then, reboot your machine and log in again.
      - On a Windows 9X machine, add the following line to your
        AUTOEXEC.BAT file:
           set CLASSPATH=C:\Java;.
        where C:\Java is your directory from step 3.
        Then, reboot your machine.

5) Download the visad_src-2.0.jar file from the VisAD web site at:
       http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/visad.html
    Save the file to your Java base directory from step 3.

6) From the command line, change to your Java base directory,
    then type:
       jar xvf visad_src-2.0.jar
    You will see the VisAD source files being extracted into their
    appropriate directory structure.

7) Compile VisAD.  If you are on a Unix system, type:
       cd visad
       make compile
    If you are on a Windows system, type:
       cd visad
       nmake -f Makefile.WinNT compile
    If you do not have Microsoft's NMAKE utility, you can get it at:
       ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/nmake15.exe
    Be patient while VisAD compiles.  It may take a few minutes
    depending on your system configuration.

8) Try running a simple VisAD example to verify your installation:
       cd examples
       java SimpleImage
    You should see a 3-D display that can be rotated with the mouse.