Re: VRML output

I, too, am interested in exporting VisAD's scene graphs to VRML.  In
particular, I , like you, am using VisAD to visualize geographic data.
As such, I have been following the efforts (and have contributed to) the
GeoVRML working group:  http://www.geovrml.org

<pitch>
GeoVRML is a set of nodes for producing geographically referenced VRML
scenes.  In particular, GeoVRML implements coordinates in double
precision, as is typically necessary for geographic data, but is not
implemented by standard VRML.  The GeoVRML ElevationGrid node,
GeoElevationGrid, will result in elevation grids that are spherical.
GeoVRML supports UTM and Lat/Lon coordinates.  GeoVRML will be part of
the "first amendment" to the VRML97 ISO standard.
</pitch>

At any rate, in addition to outputing data from VisAD into standard
VRML, I encourage you to consider GeoVRML.  Of course, at present, using
GeoVRML means the client does have to have the GeoVRML jar installed on
the machine, so it's a step backwards as far as your goal of limiting
requiremetns of the client.  On the other hand, Parallel Graphics has at
least verbally committed to including GeoVRML in it's Cortona browser in
the future.

-john