visad can't compile w/o java3D?

Hi,

Earlier this summer I was able to compile VisAD without Java3D,
and the README says this is OK.

We just downloaded a fresh copy on Monday, and it gives hundreds
of errors complaining about missing classes.

When we run the spreadsheet, it crashes because it wants Java3D.

So the question is:  how do I compile and use VisAD without Java3D.

(I need to omit j3d for several reasons:

  1. It's not available for many platforms
  2. It is impossibly slow without graphics cards
  3. It cannot be used in a remote X-windows session, only on
     the local console.)

Thanks,

  REMcG

--
Robert E. McGrath  (HDF Java Team Leader)
Champaign, Illinois 61820

mcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxx