Re: Formats "HDF and Vis5D" in Linux RH 6.0

  • To: visad-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Formats "HDF and Vis5D" in Linux RH 6.0
  • From: Bill Hibbard wrote:
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:48:27 -0300
HI BILL,

> Hi Marcelo,
>
> >       I am with problems to visualize images with format HDF and
> > Vis5D. I work with Linux(RedHat6.0). How should I proceed? Because the
> > two formats need libraries you specify.
>
> VisAD accees to HDF is (currently) limited to HDF-EOS, which
> requires a very complex set of native libraries.  So that is
> probably limited to Sparc Solaris for a while.
>
> However, I am happy to see your courage in taking on the
> task of compiling the Vis5D native library on Linux.  First,
> make sure you edit visad/data/vis5d/Makefile to add -DLITTLE
> to CFLAGS.
>
> > I tried to generate libvis5d.so and I had the folowing problems after
> > "make compile".
> >
> > My directory:
> > -------------
> >
> >  ../visad/visad-2.0/visad/ make
> >
> > Message
> > -------
> >
> >  cc -z defs -o libvis5d.so v5d_read.o v5d.o binio.o -L/usr/lib -lm -lc
> >  /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x18): undefind reference to 'main'
> >  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >  make:  *** [libvis5d.so] Error
>
> This message is a little puzzling.  First, the SHLDFLAGS
> defined in visad/data/vis5d/Makefile includes -G, so we
> should see that before -z in your Message.  Second, we
> should not see -L/usr/lib in the message.  Have you made
> these changes to your visad/data/vis5d/Makefile?
>
> Of course, I must defer to the real Unix experts like
> Dave Glowacki.
>
> Cheers,
> Bill
> Bill Hibbard, SSEC, 1225 W. Dayton St., Madison, WI  53706
> hibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/vis.html

        Makefile original.
        ================

 My directory:
 -------------

  ../visad/visad-2.0/visad/ make

 Message
 -------

 cc -G -z defs -o libvis5d.so v5d_read.o v5d.o binio.o \
 -lm -lc
 cc: unrecognized option '-G'
 /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x18): undefind reference to 'main'
 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
 make:  *** [libvis5d.so] Error

Thanks,

 Marcelo Tadeu Zamana  -  CNPq/PIBIC
 INPE - CPTEC  -  Cachoeira Paulista - SP
 Tel.:  (012) 560-8482  fax.:  (012) 561-2835
 malito: mtadeu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 http://members.xoom.com/granja