Re: Start with VisAD ....

Hi,

I am having some problem compiling and running the examples as you showed
me in the email.

First, "java -version" gives me correct feedback. then I downloaded
the image.nc dataset.

VerySimple.java compiles ok, but when I run it, it gives me the
following exceptions:

Couldn't decode attribute y:units="promiscuous": Unit not in database
Couldn't decode attribute x:units="promiscuous": Unit not in database
        at visad.util.DataUtility.makeSimpleDisplay(Compiled Code)
        at VerySimple.main(VerySimple.java:24)

visad.ss.SpreadSheet.java program also compiles ok, and I loaded
images.nc dataset into this program, a 4-step 2D image appears in
one of four windows. But on the command, it shows the following
strange information:

A nonfatal internal JIT <3.00.078<x>> error "regvar" has occured in :
   'visad/data/DefaultFamily$FormFunction.run <>Z': Interpreting method.
   Please report this error in detail to
http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi

Couldn't decode attribute y:units="promiscuous": Unit not in database
Couldn't decode attribute x:units="promiscuous": Unit not in database

We installed Java3D into window NT, and tried to run the two examples
relating to Java3D.

HSVDisplay.java compiles ok, but the following exceptions occured when
I run it:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoCLassDefFoundError:
javax/media/j3d/GeometryArray
        at HSVDisplay(HSVDisplay.java:105)

SatDisplay.java program can not pass compilatio with the following errors.

SatDisplay.java:96: Method disableAction() not found in class visad.DisplayImpl.

        display.disableAction();
                             ^

SatDisplay.java:99: Method enableAction() not found in class visad.Display.Impl.
        display.enableAction();
                            ^
2 errors

It seems that I have not even entered VisAD's gate yet.

Thanks for your help!

David

Hi David,

You should be able to run some of the VisAD example applications.
Make sure that 'java -version' gives you something like

  java version "1.2"
  . . .

and you may also need to download some sample data files.  If you
download:

  ftp://www.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/visad-2.0/images.nc

then you should be able to run 'java VerySimple'.  You can also
run 'java visad.ss.SpreadSheet' which will let you load any GIF,
JPEG, netCDF, FITS or McIDAS file (for Vis5D and HDF-EOS you need
native libraries that don't run on NT).  See the VisAD Spread Sheet
web page for instructions.

If you have installed Java3D, you can run some demos that use it,
like 'java HSVDisplay' or 'java -mx64m SatDisplay'.

VisAD is really designed for software developers, so you might
want to print out the VisAD Developer's Guide, as well as study
the source code of some of the example applications.  Also,
Unidata has a nice archive of this mailing list, and there is the
VisAD README and VisAD FAQ (includes a link for downloading nmake),
all linked from the web page.  If you do download nmake and compile
from source, make sure that your CLASSPATH includes the parent
directory of your visad directory.