Re: a few late-night questions

Hi Doug,

> 1) Any suggestions on why I am getting missing data from my resamplings?
> The original data seem to be OK but the grid is not particularly
> regular. (This is some MM5 output.) I defined the original domain as a
> Gridded3DSet by giving it a list of coordinates that aren't necessarily
> monotonically increasing.  This field displays fine, but with 60*60*31
> wind vectors, the scene is a bit crowded (and slow to rotate). My
> resampling domain is a simple Linear3DSet (20x20x10). The result is
> mostly OK but there are enough holes (i.e. missing data) that attempts
> to do IsoContours are not pretty. As expected, NEAREST_NEIGHBOR doesn't
> leave as many holes as WEIGHTED_AVERAGE, but there are still plenty.

I'd better take a look at your program - might be a bug in
VisAD.  Could you please put your code and data in a jar
file (or compressed tar file) and ftp it to me as follows:

  ftp demedici.ssec.wisc.edu
  login: anonymous
  password: email@address
  ftp> cd pub/incoming
  ftp> bin
  ftp> filename.jar
  ftp> quit

Then send me an email with the name of the jar file.

> 2) Can anything be done about the clipping when you zoom in too close?

Clipping control is on my to do list.

> 3) Can one change the aspect ratio of a 2D plot instead of getting a
> square?

I just added a method setAspect(double[] aspects) to
ProjectionControl to allow you to do this.  The aspects
array has length 2 for DisplayImplJ2D and length 3 for
DisplayImplJ3D.  It is now called in Test57.java and
Test58.java in visad/examples.

> 4) I got axis labels with setScaleEnable. How can I control the color,
> font size...?

You will get scales for any RealType mapped to XAxis, YAxis
or ZAxis.  You control the colors of these via the setScaleColor
method of ScalarMap.  For example:

  ScalarMap map2temp = new ScalarMap(temp, Display.XAxis);
  display.addMap(map2temp);
  map2temp.setScaleColor(new float[] {red, green, blue});

Sorry to say there is currently no control over font size
for axis scale labels.

whibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738