Re: status of unstructured grids

Hi Randy,

Nice to hear from you again.

> After a long absence from VisAD, I'm simply checking back to see if the status
> of displaying unstructured grids (+ scalars) has changed since I last used it.
> My earlier experience was basically this:
>
>  - given my unstructured grid of hexahedral cells, I needed to convert them
>    to tetrahedra

Yes, this is true with the current VisAD IrregularSet
implementations.  Of course, someone could implement
irregular Sets that deal with cell topolgies other than
tetrahedra, but it would be real work.

>  - I could then display the grid, but only as points

Actually, VisAD currently include iso-surfaces from
Irregular3DSets.  Case 2 of visad/examples/DisplayTest
is an example.

An application could also invoke the resample method on
an irregular field to extract a planar slice for display.
If this sounds interesting, I can supply more details.

> Sorry for the brevity.  I can supply the actual code if anyone is interested.
> If others have been working with unstructured grids, I'd like to hear
> about/see
> your results.  Similarly, if anyone is doing remote visualization with VisAD,
> I'd like to hear about it.

Many of the applications distributed with VisAD do remote
visualization, including visad.aune.ShallowFluid,
visad.paoloa.GoesCollaboration and visad.benjamin.Galaxy.

Just recently, visad.ss.SpreadSheet added a capbility to
display data from any cell of a remote SpreadSheet.

We are always on the lookout to add links from the VisAD web
page to web pages describing applications, and a link to an
application using irregular grids would be great.

whibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738