Re: Program to visualize layers

I've attached a simple VisAD test program which creates and displays surfaces
for layers given by (X, Y) --> (Z, property) transofrmations.  It parses a
simple file for the  layers and shows them all in one display.  I put this
together for testing somethings, and it's really not a clean and entirely
correct program.  But it shows you how to use some features of VisAD for
dealing with layers.  I hope it helps.

The program shows iso-contours displays, to see surfaces just comment out the
addMap() for iscoutours (or write a clever gui for doing that and let me
know:).  You could also add a level transformation (like Bill was saying) if
you want to display them one at a time, etc.

I haven't figured out how to cleanly and efficiently construct a 3D set from a
collection of 2D layers.  Anyhow, it doesn't seem to be the right thing to do
as you'll have distortions which may or may not be physically what you have.
However, it would be nice to be able to do slicing on these layers.  Even
tinkering with the cliping planes might be useful.  Seems to me the general
problem of a cutting plane through some 2D layers given by (X, Y) -->(Z, p)
should be easier than the general 3D volume slicing.

-- mohamad
Los Alamos National Laboratory
CIC-8, MS B272
Los Alamos, NM  87545