status of VisAD on AIX

I have installed IBM's JDK 1.2.0.alpha on an AIX Version 4.3.2
system, and installed and run VisAD.  However, I have run into
a few problems, just FYI:

1. There is no Java3D on AIX yet (and no answer to my question
to IBM discussion group about when), so the VisAD 'make compile'
has lots of error messages.  In spite of these, it will still
compile well enough to run some Java2D applications.  However,
I was able to eliminate the compile errors by copying the files:

  iiimp.jar, j3daudio.jar, j3dcore.jar, j3dutils.jar & vecmath.jar

from jdk1.2/jre/lib/ext (on a Solaris system) to J1.2.a/lib/ext
on the AIX system.

2. I am getting the messages of the form:

  Font specified in font.properties not found
    [-Monotype-TimesNewRomanWT-Medium-R-Normal--0-0-0-0-P-0-ISO8859-1]

and have asked the IBM discussion group about these.

3. Most seriously, Java2D displays are bad (including Java2D
displays generated from VisAD and those generated from the
demos distributed with JDK 1.2.0.alpha).  I have asked the
IBM discussion group about this.

The bad display problem with Java2D may be particular to the
configuration of our AIX machine, since IBM must have run the
Java 2 compliance suite on JDK 1.2.0.alpha on some AIX machine.

If anyone else has better experience with VisAD on AIX, I'd like
to hear about it.  And I'll keep you posted about progress here.

whibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738