Re: help: can not compile paoloa apps

Dave,

I tried your Makefile.  Here's the result:

> demedici% rm *.so
> rm: remove libGoesCollaboration.so (yes/no)? y
> rm: remove libGoesRetrieval.so (yes/no)? y
> demedici% make
> f77 -G GoesRetrievalImp.o change_profil.o ev_diff_prof.o goesrte_2.o
> so_read_1.o  dbdtgx_1.o get_profil.o re_read_1.o -L/opt/SUNWs
> f77 -G GoesCollaborationImp.o change_profil.o ev_diff_prof.o goesrte_2.o
> so_read_1.o  dbdtgx_1.o get_profil.o re_read_1.o -L/opt/S
> demedici% java visad.paoloa.GoesRetrieval
> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no GoesRetrieval in shared library path
>         at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:429)
>         at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:638)
>         at visad.paoloa.GoesRetrieval.main(GoesRetrieval.java:99)

Here's what I get with the original Makefile (GoesRetrieval runs correctly):

> demedici% rm *.so
> rm: remove libGoesCollaboration.so (yes/no)? y
> rm: remove libGoesRetrieval.so (yes/no)? y
> demedici% make
> f77 -G GoesRetrievalImp.o change_profil.o ev_diff_prof.o goesrte_2.o
> so_read_1.o  dbdtgx_1.o get_profil.o re_read_1.o /opt/SUNWspr
> f77 -G GoesCollaborationImp.o change_profil.o ev_diff_prof.o goesrte_2.o
> so_read_1.o  dbdtgx_1.o get_profil.o re_read_1.o /opt/SUN
> demedici% java visad.paoloa.GoesRetrieval
> demedici%

When I first wrote this Makefile, I could get it to make OK without
explicitly linking all those *.so files from /opt/SUNWspro/lib, but
it gave UnsatisfiedLinkErrors at run time.  So I just linked all the
*.so files from /opt/SUNWspro/lib in the Makefile.

YanChing, please try this experiment: modify the paoloa/Makefile so
that LIBS explicitly lists all the *.so files in /opt/SUNWspro/lib
on your system.  Perhaps with an older Fortran you have a different
set of *.so names.

If this works, perhaps someone clever with scripts and make (Dave?)
can set LIBS to whatever *.so files are in /opt/SUNWspro/lib on a
particular system.  Note that at JavaOne we could run the paoloa
demos on the Ultra 2 that Sun loaned us, but could not run them on
the Ultra 10 in Sun's booth - might have been another Fortran
variation.

I'll try again to get the attention of someone from Sun for this
problem via the java newsgroups.

whibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738