Java 3D 1.1 FCS; JDK 1.2 port to Digital Unix; better fonts

Lots of good and interesting developments this morning:

1. Sun has released the final Java 3D 1.1 - I have installed it and
   run all the VisAD tests and there seem to be no problems.  Please
   let me know if you encounter any.

2. Compaq / DEC has announced their port of JDK 1.2 to Digital Unix.
   I don't think this includes Java 3D yet (FCS only last night).
   I expect to see AIX, HP-UX and Linux ports soon.

3. Tom Whittaker has improved the fonts in visad.PlotText, which
   supplies text in VisAD displays.  It now includes all characters
   from the ASCII collating sequence 32 thru 126 - so lower and
   upper case.  Much more readable.

whibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738

"kill cross-platform Java by growing the polluted Java market"
   - from an internal Microsoft planning document