viability of java for sci computing

Recently an article in EE Times (8/31/98 and forwarded to me) entitled
"Java cited as weak brew for tech apps" poured cold water on the future
of java for technical computing. The article is well written and
informative. The issues were non-issues to me, but my client is
concerned. The claim is that "Java falls short in its handling of
floating-point calculations, arrays and complex numbers." James Gosling
said they take these issues seriously and intend to address them. They
will initially permint use of extended floating point, but none of the
other issues will recieve immediate attention from Sun.

Anybody care to comment? There are other critical issues that Sun is
addressing that make a world of difference to me.

John

--
John B. Parrish, Ph.D.
1165 Elderberry Circle