Re: Near real-time JTable updating

This is a problem with Java threads.  Right now Java 3D can only
co-exist with green threads.  I hope that this problem will go
away when we can switch to native threads.  More efficient Java
compilers will also help a lot.  Right now Java 3D cannot co-exist
with JIT or HotSpot compilers.

Another example of this problem is visual feedback from re-drawing
temperature and moisture profiles in the GoesCollaboration demo.
I tried to fix this by putting logic right in the mouse callbacks
to draw lines for direct manipulation.  But that is not effective,
because the Java 3D rendering threads get starved.

In your example, I wouldn't be suprised if your cell.doAction was
getting executed on time, but the thread that calls paint for your
JTable was getting starved.

It is also worth noting that Sun knows they have problems getting
Java 3D and JFC (Swing) and Java 3D to work together.  They promise
to fix these in the Java 1.2 final (with hopefully big progress in
JDK 1.2beta4 and Java 3D beta01).

Sorry I don't have an immediate answer for your problem.

whibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738

"kill cross-platform Java by growing the polluted Java market"
   - from an internal Microsoft planning document