Re: Orientation & Re: Java 3D Alpha-3

First, the orientation question:

Some experiments with visad/examples/DisplayTest case 27 tell me
that if you map x to XAxis, y to YAXis and documents to ZAxis,
then put the mouse pointer at the bottom of the window and drag
up with the left mouse button held, you'll see an x scale along
the front bottom horizontal axis, and a documents scale along
the front left vertical axis.

Please let me know if this is not true for you, or if it is
not what you want.

Second, the Java 3D Alpha-3 question:

I just installed Alpha-3 and tested it.  However, I did not
have any problems.  The following excerpts from the Java 3D
Alpha-3 README file make me suspicious:

> The following patches are recommended for running Java 3D on Solaris.
> . . .
>     106022-02 for OpenGL 1.1.1 on Solaris
>               This fixes a rendering bug in vertex arrays
> . . .
>     Java 3D Changes:
> . . .
>         - OpenGL vertex arrays used rather than display lists
> . . .

That is, in Alpha3 they switched from using OpenGL display
lists to using OpenGL vertex arrays.  Furthermore, if you
are running OpenGL 1.1.1 then you need patch 106022-02
which "fixes a rendering bug in vertex array".  You can
check your OpenGL version with the command:

  what /usr/openwin/lib/libGL.so.1

Another possibility is that we are using OpenGL with
Creator3D graphics hardware.  You don't have that then
your OpenGL may be doing software rendering, which is
a very different OpenGL execution path, and may explain
why Alpha3 works for me and not for you.

But first check your OpenGL version and installaing
patch 106022-02.  Please let me know if you continue to
have problems.

whibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738

"kill cross-platform Java by growing the polluted Java market"
   - from an internal Microsoft planning document