Re: [tiggeusers] getting a sample data by ftp

NOTE: The tiggeusers mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

  • To: Ashis K. Mitra <akm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [tiggeusers] getting a sample data by ftp
  • From: Hannah Wilcox <hannah@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 07:56:09 -0700
Hello Ashis,

There is not a direct ftp address setup to get to the TIGGE data. The web interface (http://tigge.ucar.edu) is setup to serve the data. Once you've selected models and parameters through the interface you get a list of files. If you click on an individual file name, that file should be downloaded to your system; or you can choose to download a wget script that you can run from wherever to download all the files. I've included Doug's description of the web interface from a previous e-mail. If you are not able to get what you need from the web interface or have trouble with it, please let us know and we'll help you get the data you need.

Sincerely,

Hannah

Doug's directions:

You need to log into NCAR's TIGGE portal website and go through the
data selection interface to to access data for download using wget.

Go to:
http://tigge.ucar.edu

Click on the "Get Forecast Data" box.

From here you have the option of getting all model data, or getting data based on desired parameter.
If you would like to download all available model data, click on the
"Online Data Request Selection" link

If you would like to download selected parameters, click on the
"Online Data Subset Selection" link

After you click on either of these links, you will be asked to enter your TIGGE user name and password, and brought through a series of steps to select and download your desired data.

It should be noted that only the past ~3 weeks of data is available for online download. Prior data
can be found at

http://dss.ucar.edu/datasets/ds330.0
and
http://dss.ucar.edu/datasets/ds330.1