[thredds] Updates on TDS 4.6 support; transition to v5

Hello THREDDS and THREDDS data users,

This email contains several updates, including 1) the plan for upgrading
thredds.ucar.edu to TDS 5, 2) the TDS 5.4 official release, and 3) extended
support for TDS 4.6.x until August, 2022.

*1) Upgrading thredds.ucar.edu <http://thredds.ucar.edu>*
We are still pushing forward with our transition to TDS 5 on
thredds.ucar.edu and targeting the end of this month, to minimize
interference with the academic school year. Thank you to everyone who has
reported issues using the TDS on threddsrc.ucar.edu so far. We greatly
appreciate your feedback! A new snapshot release of TDS 5.4 that includes
fixes for many of the reported issues (though not all of them just yet) is
now running on threddsrc.ucar.edu.

Please continue to test your workflows against the new version and report
issues to support-thredds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx! We plan to leave the
snapshot release running on the threddsrc domain for approximately two
weeks before determining whether we are ready to upgrade the main thredds
domain. We will do our best to schedule the upgrade so as to cause minimal
disruption to users.

*2) TDS 5.4*
User testing on threddsrc.ucar.edu exposed a number of issues we had not
previously known about, and we are doing our best to address as many of
them as possible prior to the next release. In the meantime, our latest
snapshot releases contain a number of bug fixes and security upgrades, and
are available for download.

*3) Support for TDS 4.6.x*
Because the release of TDS 5.4 has taken significantly longer than
anticipated, Unidata has decided to continue security-only support of TDS
4.6.x until August 2022 (previously scheduled for EOL May 2022). As always,
please reach out to support-thredds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you have questions
or need help upgrading your server to v5.

Please reach out to us if you have any questions!
Thank you,
Unidata and the THREDDS team

--
Hailey Johnson (she/her)