[thredds] get remote TDS binLimit?

Is there an easy way to determine the binLimit setting for a remote TDS?

Also, when binLimit is exceed in OPeNDAP, does it return an error message?
I know an ASCII request spits out a 403 message like the following:

> Error {
>     code = 403;
>     message = "Request too big=1275173.181384 Mbytes, max=1000.0";
> };
>
> I guess how that message gets conveyed depends on the client, too (e.g.,
Python, Matlab, etc.)?

On a related note, we're grappling with a TDS that returns all 0's when
binLimit is exceeded, rather than returning an error status. Anybody seen
this? I've seen mention online of a netcdf-c timeout issue?

Thanks for any insights!,
John Maurer
Data System Engineer
Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System (PacIOOS)
University of Hawaii at Manoa