[thredds] Virtual Datasets (and Java)

Hi All:

In a recent talk, Mike Folk stated that the next release of HDF5 will contain
the ability to do “virtual datasets”, essentially the same type of aggregation
as is done by the THREDDS Data Server.  I can see where there could be
advantages to do this at the dataset, rather than the server level.  When the
new version of HDF5 is officially released, are there any plans to incorporate
this feature not the netcdf libraries?

Thanks,

-Roy

PS - As a total aside, we have a data service we would like to keep totally
Java.  I was following the development of “nujan” to write netcdf4 files with
pure Java code, but it appears to have fallen off the radar.  Are there any
plans to pick that up again?  We likely won’t provide netcdf4 files as part of
the service unless something like that is available, as we don’t want to have
to support all the different OS and versions.

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst