Re: [thredds] 4.6.x NcML Aggregation Cache Generation

Hi David:

This is a timely email, Im just now scratching my head trying to understand
why things are different in 4.6. I have a report that possibly the cache is
not getting used on subsequent reads, but my tests have not reproduced
that. So this is helpful.

Note that to get everything to cache, you just need to make a request for
the aggregation coordinate (usually time) values. Could do it with a dods
request, or open the file as a Grid (eg WMS, WCS, NCSS, rom ToolsUI, IDV,
etc) which will automatically request coordinates. A script to do so is
easy enough, using wget or python or whatever you like. Email support if
you need an example.

One might ask why doesnt 4.6 used the previous cached values? It does, but
a change to the default behavior of DiskCache2 may be affecting this. The
4.3 default was to put all cache files into a single directory, but 4.6
default makes nested directories, because having thousands of files in a
single directory is Considered Harmful. If you need to, you can control
that behavior in threddsConfig.xml, but better is to pay the price and redo
the cache with the default. Email support if you need more details.

BTW, it might be advisable to take the opportunity to clear out your
caches, if you are installing on top of your old TDS. Just go to your cache
directory (default is content/thredds/cache), and delete the entire
directory, or if you have the inclination, go and selectively delete stuff
(but then you have to think hard). Then trigger a repopulation as above.