Re: [thredds] Newest high resolution GFS-data on thredds?

  • To: Glenn Rutledge - NOAA Federal <glenn.rutledge@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] Newest high resolution GFS-data on thredds?
  • From: "Don Murray (NOAA Affiliate)" <don.murray@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 10:58:34 -0700
Thanks, Glenn. The problem with the NOMADS DODS access is there is no "latest" service like TDS has. At least it has the datasets aggregated!

Don

On 11/6/14 10:49 AM, Glenn Rutledge - NOAA Federal wrote:
Hi Don, Sean and all-
For some info on the 0.25 GFS see the below from NCEP's Central Operations.

With the December 17th upgrade of the GFS these are the datasets that
will be available via the operational NOMADS server:

0.25 degree output available in DODS for forecast hours 00 - 240 at 3 hr
increments
0.25 degree output available in grib filter for forecast hours 00 - 384.
 >From 00 - 240 at 3 hour increments and 240 - 384 at 12 hour increments

0.5 degree output available in DODS for forecast hours 00 - 240 at 3 hr
increments
0.5 degree output available in grib filter for forecast hours 00 - 384.
 >From 00 - 240 at 3 hour increments and 240 - 384 at 12 hour increments

1.0 degree output available in DODS for forecast hour 00 - 384 at 12 hr
increments
1.0 degree output available in grib filter for forecast hour 00 - 384.
 From 00 - 240 at 3 hour increments and 240 - 384 at 12 hour increments

*Due to limited use, 2.5 degree output will be discontinued from DODS
and grib filter with the GFS upgrade.*

*We will also reduce the archive of number of days of GFS data available
from 30 to 14. *

Visit our product inventory page for the GFS upgrade for more details
about the available output:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/products/gfs/index.shtml.upgrade

Parallel GFS data from the pending upgrade is now available via DODS,
grib filter, HTTP and FTP:

DODS, grib filter, and HTTP, look for the 'Parallel Models' section on
the main NOMADS page: http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/

On FTP the parallel GFS data can be found at
http://www.ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/data/nccf/com/gfs/para/

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns
(ncep.pmb.dataflow@xxxxxxxx <mailto:ncep.pmb.dataflow@xxxxxxxx>).

Justin Cooke
NCEP Central Operations

end of msg.....

As an aside- currently there are no plans to archive the 0.25 on the
NCDC NOMADS historical servers. Please email nomads.ncdc@xxxxxxxx
<mailto:nomads.ncdc@xxxxxxxx> list if you believe this should be
archived (at least longer than the projected 14 days avbl on the NCEP
servers as mentioned above).  Thanks, Glenn

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Don Murray <don.murray@xxxxxxxx