Re: [thredds] applying functions (filtering, seasonal signal removal) to served time series

ERDDAP can serve the time series.  At the moment it does not have the type of
server-side function you are describing.  I believe GDS and F-TDS have such
capabilities.

We have been holding back on doing this in ERDDAP  for some simple reasons:

1.  There is no agreed upon syntax for such requests.

2.  It could open up your server to quite large amounts of data processing

3.  The processing requests could take long enough that it would require an
asynchronous response.

All of these things imply not insignificant changes in the service.

-Roy

On Sep 11, 2014, at 10:50 AM, Dallas Masters <Dallas.Masters@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Here's what I'm trying to do, but I'm unsure of the simplest method:
>
> I have a netCDF file of gridded sea surface heights over time. I'd like
> Ramadda (or ERDDAP or THREDDS) to serve time series from that file at
> specific lat,lon requests. But I'd like to apply some filters to the time
> series before sending on as JSON data to the client. Is there a method to
> apply intermediate processing or internal server functions to data prior to
> sending the data, perhaps specifying the function call in the URL? I guess
> this is like server-side processing in GRADS or F-TDS? I've seen some
> discussions about doing NCO ncwa or perhaps applying IDV functions to data in
> Ramadda, but I'm not sure if this is documented and how to implement
> something similar. Any advice is appreciated.

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst