[thredds] NetCDF, WMS, and auto color scale (not set by admin)

Hi Guys

In older versions of thredds I could leave the auto color scaling for a WMS
to thredds to take care of for me. Can I have it back - but a bit different.

As a system admin - I am just 'serving the data' not really understanding
what 'sensible viewing defaults' for defaultColorScaleRange for any file in
the directory should be. However - the data owners I interact with all have
a 'preference' on how to color/scale their visualisations for their data
files.

Is there a way to make thredds read the netCDF file - load the variable, and
load the visualisation range FROM THE DATA FILE - not the wmsConfig.xml -
where I would need to explicitly set it?

IE - if on the elevation layer for this service:

http://vhirl-dev.csiro.au/thredds/dodsC/dem/testconvert/bathymetry_surveys_G
A-2476_100m_version1_WGS84UTM49S_esri_grid_grid100m_GA-2476_Exmouth_100m_exm
outh100m.nc4.html

I set a netcdf parameter like defaultColorScaleRange or something less
thredds specific, max/min or something which could guide the 'lazy'
configuration option for the data?

Regards

Terry