Re: [thredds] [idvusers] Update - Changes to thredds.ucar.edu

John-

On 4/2/14 6:38 PM, John Caron wrote:
You might think "Why didnt we find these problems before releasing?"
Because we dont have a separate test team, like commercial software
release cycle does. We constantly improve our testing, but plenty gets
past us. We rely on the users to find the last set of bugs. And its all
but impossible to get users to try beta software. Fact of life.

In this case, you did not rely on the users to find the bugs before you released the software. With the transition from 4.2 to 4.3, you set up a test server, allowed ample time to have users find the problems so you could fix them before making the change. It seems that this would have been prudent in this case as well.

The variable names have not changed. The bundles will still work. We are
fixing the ones that Darryl discovered had changed.

They have changed.  As I pointed out on Monday, in this bundle:

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/repository/entry/get/gfs-nh-sh.xidv?entryid=d178fe25-5bfd-40cf-930d-960adcbe3d30

the U and V wind variables have changed when pointed to 4.5 on thredds-test.

Don
--
Don Murray
NOAA/ESRL/PSD and CIRES