Re: [thredds] data repository survey

Hi Jeff,

Very timely email!

There is another repository that has some similarities to RAMADDA: GeoNetwork.
GeoNetwork also has a simple http repository for files which I would really
like to replace with RAMADDA's scientific content management system and it
seems a natural fit for RAMADDA to provide metadata fragments from its content
types to fill out some of the metadata fields in GeoNetwork metadata records
(we already can harvest metadata from THREDDS to fill out fragments of ISO
metadata records). On the flip side, GeoNetwork has pretty good support for a
lot of metadata standards (especially ISO and profiles) etc, good basis in
Lucene search, some nice metadata catalog operations (harvesting protocols etc)
and nice acceptance from a lot of organisations so there are benefits for
RAMADDA if GeoNetwork was to handle the metadata side of RAMADDA.

I've had quite a look at and evaluation of RAMADDA and am definitely interested
in fostering direct, resourced collaboration on bringing the benefits of both
RAMADDA and GeoNetwork together. I am a member of the GeoNetwork Project
Steering Committee and would definitely like to discuss this further!

Cheers,
Simon

----

PS: Also fixed a nagging bug sometime ago with the RAMADDA THREDDS harvester
(1.5a) a few months ago - but never got round to supplying it to you - can I
email you the simple patch?