[thredds] Login Info in threddsServlet.log?

Greetings!

I've set up a custom Tomcat Realm to authenticate users. Using the AccessLogValve <http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html#Access_Log_Valve> I can log the authenticated username in the Tomcat access.log file using the %u flag.

As I understand it threddsServlet.log uses a different logging mechanism (log4j) than Tomcat uses, but it capture the request URI like the Tomcat valve does. I would like to capture the authenticated username and then log that in threddsServlet.log so I can simplify my log analyses for user metrics by only analyzing one log. Is there some way to forward the information that the AccessLogValve captures onto log4j and eventually to threddsServlet.log?

-kevin.

--
Kevin Manross
NCAR/CISL/Data Support Section