Re: [thredds] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Variable name (Pressure_surface) must be unique within Group

  • To: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Variable name (Pressure_surface) must be unique within Group
  • From: Dan Swank - NOAA Affiliate <dan.swank@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 17:28:20 -0400
I went in deeper this afternoon.

I made a mock directory full of symbolic links
to the 2012 gfs4 files.

I've managed to isolate mine to 2012-09-18 for gfs4
Give the suggestion from Kevin.

So I looked more closely at these files on the file system.
But they all had similar size and all contained 276 records.
Large scale File damage was ruled out.

Then started to isolate the cycle to 0600
by clearing the grib cache for that day,
including only one cycle of sym.links, then restarting.
When the cycle were isolated, only the 06:00 threw the
error.   The rest brought up the openDap form.  So i then
attempted the 00 12 and 18 cycles together in one day's time partition
but unfortunately that resulted in the same error ?

Going to the openDap form for each individual file
(non aggregatied) worked like one would expect.

 So my conclusion is that this is something going on
with the Grib indexer striping across this particular
sequence of files.   It may help is John downloads this
day of native files and take a closer look at whats
troubling the indexer / time partitioner.

wget -r -Agfsanl_4* -nd -np
http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/data/gfsanl/201209/20120918/

        -Dan

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM, John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Yes, I think this is the same case as Roy reports. Sloppy GRIB writing
> which shows up when you do complicated things like CDM tries to do.
>
> We have a workaround, but better wait until we can get 4.3.17 a bit more
> stale, as Roy had some problems when he tried it.
>
> John
>

> On 5/2/2013 4:24 PM, Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal wrote:
>
>> Hi Kevin:
>>
>> I already ran into this with data from FNMOC, and reported it  (is that
>> where your GRIB files are from?).  At one point they thought they had a
>> fix, but when i tried it things got mucked up.
>>
>> So this is one they are aware of, and hopefully 4.3.17 will have a fix.
>>  At the same time, in our case, I know they didn't really use a different
>> table, and this is sloppy on the providers part, and also is one of the
>> many problems with using external tables.
>>
>> -Roy
>>

>> On May 2, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Kevin Manross <manross@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Greetings!
>>>

>>> I know there is work being preformed on the GRIB1 in THREDDS, so I do
>>> not know if this already being covered or not.  I came across the error in
>>> the subject line when I expanded my TDS catalog config to cover the extent
>>> of my dataset.  This caused an Error 500 when trying to view Best
>>> Timeseries data via any of the TDS access types/services.
>>>
>>> I'll spare the gory details unless they are needed.  I have isolated
>>> this error to a period spanning two months in 1999 (Aug & Sep).  After
>>> converting the GRIB1 files to netCDF and dumping the netCDF headers, the
>>> only variation I see with the Pressure_surface variable is that some use
>>> Grib1_TableVersion = 1 and the rest use version 2:
>>>
>>> fnl_19990814_00_00.cdl:        Pressure_surface:Grib1_**TableVersion =
>>> 2 ;
>>> fnl_19990814_12_00.cdl:        Pressure_surface:Grib1_**TableVersion =
>>> 1 ;
>>> fnl_19990814_18_00.cdl:        Pressure_surface:Grib1_**TableVersion =
>>> 1 ;
>>> fnl_19990815_00_00.cdl:        Pressure_surface:Grib1_**TableVersion =
>>> 2 ;
>>> fnl_19990815_06_00.cdl:        Pressure_surface:Grib1_**TableVersion =

>>> Email:manross@xxxxxxxx
>>> Web:http://rda.ucar.edu
>>>

>> **********************
>> "The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
>> Government or NOAA."
>> **********************
>> Roy Mendelssohn
>> Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
>> NOAA/NMFS
>> Environmental Research Division
>> Southwest Fisheries Science Center
>> 1352 Lighthouse Avenue
>> Pacific Grove, CA 93950-2097
>>
>> e-mail: Roy.Mendelssohn@xxxxxxxx (Note new e-mail address)
>> voice: (831)-648-9029
>> fax: (831)-648-8440
>> www: http://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/
>>
>> "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill."
>> "From those who have been given much, much will be expected"
>> "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" -MLK
>> Jr.

=======================================
Dan Swank
NCDC-NOMADS Project
Team ERT/STG
(NCDC Government Contractor)
Data Access & Applications Branch
Veach-Baley Federal Building
151 Patton Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801-5001
Email: Dan.Swank@xxxxxxxx
Phone: 828-271-4007
Any opinions expressed in this message are mine personally and
do not represent any position from STG, ERT, NCDC, or NOAA