Re: [thredds] [opendap-tech] A request for server developers

On Apr 24, 2013, at 8:56 PM, Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal
<roy.mendelssohn@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't know enough to add anything technical to the discussion, but I know
> most of us these days operate in an environment of increased security, and
> anything that generally opens up holes is frowned upon  ( we have started
> restricting our http ,ethos to GET, POST and HEAD for example).
>
> I agree that more discussion of the security implications is needed,   and
> the fact that someone has implemented it and hasn't seen anything nefarious
> won't past muster on security scans.

To reinforce Roy's comments, from the perspective of a U.S. Govt. data
provider, if the security implications are not crystal-clear, we have to treat
it as a potential increase in risk.  We already have an uphill battle in
getting any OPeNDAP server approved at all, security-wise.  As a result, for
our purposes, we're not comfortable with server distributions that default to
completely open CORS.

I'm generally sympathetic to the desire to enable this kind of functionality,
but the history of computing is rife with cases where really cool functionality
clashed with the potential security implications.  I also recognize that not
all data providers operate within our security constraints, so we will be
interested in watching this unfold, with an emphasis on watching.

BUt note that absence of evidence doesn't mean it's safe, as Roy points out.
The burden of proof for us is on proving from first principles that there is no
increase in vulnerability due to open CORS. That is, given a malicious
(inadvertent or otherwise) site, and malicious JS code using it for a
cross-site scripting, will it be crystal clear that our CORS policy cannot be
remotely associated with such an exploit?  In the govt., any kind of guilt by
association is almost as bad as actual guilt.