Re: [thredds] OPeNDAP Clients and Cookies

Hi Kevin,

> I have been reading up on the various ways to authenticate opendap
> requests (primarily via THREDDS), many of which refer to the server setting
> a session cookie upon successful login. My question is, how is the session
> cookie checked upon subsequent requests by opendap clients like IDL,
> Matlab, IDV, pydap, etc.?
>
> We have a mechanism to allow users to obtain and store cookie information
> for use in non-browser-sessions like scripts.  These scripts usually
> involve wget which has a way to load cookies.  Do opendap clients have any
> such way to send a cookie?

The problem with browser based login is that clients (like the IDV) can't
recognize the what the redirect is. There is no standard for defining a
login protocol using html forms.  What RAMADDA does is authenticate the
opendap connections using HTTP-AUTH. The IDV would see the http-auth
request and the could prompt for user id/password.

-Jeff