[thredds] coordinates = "time lat lon lat lon"

Hello all, I recently noticed some strange behavior with the "Add Lat/Lon
variables" in the NCSS if the data is already in lat/long space. We have a web
application that calls the NCSS service from a mapping interface and a while
back I forced the REST call to include addLatLon=true. Most of our data is
projected so it was handy to have the lat/lons written into the netcdf file.
However, one of our users noticed that datasets which were already in lat/lon
have variable metadata with coordinates = "time lat lon lat lon" rather than
the expected coordinates = "time lat lon". It seems a bit redundant to include
addLatLon=true when the coordinates are already in lat/lon, but its hard coded
into our web application. I did some testing with the thredds html interface
and found if I include addLatLon=true variables will have coordinates = "time
lat lon lat lon", whereas if I omit addLatLon=true you get the expected
coordinates = "time lat lon".

So the question is why does including the lat/lon variables change the
coordinate metadata on a variable and does it matter to netcdf viewing
applications? The data appears to load into ArcMap either way. For reference,
I'm using TDS 4.2.6 so this quirk may already have been fixed.

Thanks

Jay Alder
US Geological Survey
Oregon State University