Re: [thredds] [netcdf-java] Java to Python tools

Hi John & everyone,

Depending on your application you could also wire Java and Python
> together using inter-process communication.  There is a plethora of
> RPC libraries out there with good Python and Java support.  E.g.
> protocol buffers.

We faced the same problem trying to integrate Bio-Formats (a Java library;
http://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats) and into CellProfiler (a
Python application; http://github.com/CellProfiler).

The first solution was in-process. However, there are some difficulties
with launching and managing a JVM from native code:
  * You may not know a priori how much memory to assign to the Java max
heap, and it cannot be changed after the JVM has launched.
  * Java never returns RAM to the system; the garbage collector just frees
it internally for Java to reuse.
  * AFAIK, you cannot only ever start one JVM; even if it terminates, you
cannot start a second one.
  * Unless you are very careful, Mac OS X has threading issues with Java
AWT.

Hence, the CellProfiler team developed a second solution, inter-process
this time, called subimager:
   https://github.com/CellProfiler/subimager

Subimager is a lightweight HTTP server that can be queried from Python,
which avoids most of the pitfalls mentioned above (though you still have to
decide on a max heap size, of course).

Lastly, CellProfiler abstracts the integration mechanism into a class that
supports both in-process and inter-process, depending on the circumstances:

https://github.com/CellProfiler/CellProfiler/blob/master/imagej/ijbridge.py

It is now working very well! Maybe you can pursue a similar approach.

For further reading, check out my "Interfacing from non-Java code" page:
   http://loci.wisc.edu/bio-formats/interfacing-non-java-code

It is part of the Bio-Formats developer documentation but would be totally
applicable to netCDF Java or any other Java library, too.

Regards,
Curtis