[thredds] Log errors on linux OS

Hi list,

we are operating an older Thredds server on an OpenSuse linux with a customized ncWMS library [1]. The webapp runs on a tomcat 6 with limited (non-root) rights for security reasons.

Studying the logs (catalina.out) I found a lot of warning messages like this one:

WARNING: Could not lock System prefs.Unix error code -1224221894.
Apr 2, 2012 11:36:13 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences syncWorld
WARNING: Couldn't flush system prefs: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Couldn't get file lock. Apr 2, 2012 11:36:42 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences checkLockFile0ErrorCode
WARNING: Could not lock User prefs. Unix error code 2.
Apr 2, 2012 11:36:42 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences syncWorld
WARNING: Couldn't flush user prefs: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Couldn't get file lock. Apr 2, 2012 11:36:43 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences checkLockFile0ErrorCode
WARNING: Could not lock System prefs.Unix error code -1224221894.
Apr 2, 2012 11:36:43 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences syncWorld
WARNING: Couldn't flush system prefs: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Couldn't get file lock.

It looks like there is an issue with Java's Preferences Subsystem, that wants to create some folders in system directories [2]. Does someone know how to deal with this problem? Is it an issue with our slighly outdated Thredds version, a matter of the JDK (is it woth switching to OpenJDK?) or just a general issue with linux / Thredds that we have to deal with?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthias

[1]: Version 4.2.20120117.1632