Re: [thredds] [netcdf-java] GRIB variable name changes in 4.3

David-

On 2/28/12 5:50 AM, David Blodgett wrote:
The current scheme doesnt work, and about 20% of NCEP/IDD names are
simply wrong, and an unknown percentage of non-NCEP names are
wrong.

I'd just like to vouch for how needed this is. Being from the
hydrology community, we have a great interest in data coming from
National Weather Service River Forecasting Centers. The grib tables
from these centers, until John's persistent and much appreciated
effort in the past several months, were wrong or unknown to
netCDF-Java. This resulted in fundamentally broken data. In our case,
a 6-hour accumulation variable was being mixed with a 1 hour
accumulation variable.

I totally agree that problems such as this need to be fixed and applaud John's efforts here. That can be done and still maintain human readable variable names. Information about accumulation times is handled through the cell_bounds attribute and much of the other information in the new naming scheme should go as attributes as is done in NCL and to some degree netCDF-Java 4.2.

Not personally understanding the technical nuance here, I will simply
ask that people consider variable uniqueness and numerical
reproducibility over the cost to pay technical debt when deciding the
direction to take on this.

Variables should be unique, but IMO, should be human readable to the end user. The information is already there to create the long_name attribute and could be used for the variable name as in the last version of the 4.3 beta.

Don