Re: [thredds] Supported file compression methods

Thanks John, you confirmed my understanding. However, have a problem
with several ZIP (.zip) files in a dataset:

[2011-12-14T10:13:55.900+0000] ERROR ucar.nc2.ft.fmrc.FmrcDataset: Cant
open file
java.io.IOException: Cant read C:/<dir1>/<dir2>/<filename>.nc.zip: not a
valid CDM file.
        at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:744)

The netCDF-Java version in use is v4.2.25.

The files can readily be opened with ZIP applications and the compressed
NetCDF file (.nc) extracted without issue.

Regards,

Glenn

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:09:50 -0700
From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: thredds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [thredds] Supported file compression methods

On 12/13/2011 2:33 AM, Comiskey, Glenn wrote:
> Hi,
> Can anyone list what file compression methods THREDDS can support when

> accessing data files, i.e. can a data file be stored in a compressed
> format, such as bzip2, and yet THREDDS can still access the file and
> extract data.
> Kind regards,
> Glenn Comiskey
> Data System Administrator

If the URL ends with a with ".Z", ".zip", ".gzip", ".gz", or ".bz2", the
file is assumed to be/*compressed*/. The netCDF-Java library will
uncompress/unzip and write a new file without the suffix, then read from
the uncompressed file. Generally it prefers to place the uncompressed
file in the same directory as the original file. If it does not have
write permission on that directory, it will use thecache directory
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/reference/Caching.html
>defined
by*ucar.nc2.util.DiskCache.

*see