Re: [thredds] 4.2 WMS troubles

Hi Derrick,

In 4.1 I think the min/max was calculated automatically with each GetMap
request.  This is not only inefficient but there's a chance that the min/max
could vary depending on what happens to the underlying dataset (also it's
rather inefficient).  For compatibility with WMS clients that can't set min/max
manually, it's important that the server can provide a consistent min/max for
each field.

> I was wondering if it's possible to include in the workflow such that when
> THREDDS reads
> the catolog.xml, it samples each datasets and produces a "rough" xml which
> includes the
> dataset and their min/max value? The min/max may not be accurate, but at
> least it's better
> than -50 50.

This is actually what the standalone ncWMS does, but it's much harder in
THREDDS.  The reason for this is that a THREDDS server can easily end up
containing thousands of "datasets" which aren't specified explicitly by the
user - they are discovered by searching a directory or some such.  One would
need to create the min/max for every variable in each of these datasets.  Even
in ncWMS servers (which serve a much smaller number of "datasets") this can
hang a server for a while.

You're not limited to the global default of course.  You can specify defaults
by standard name and also by pattern-matching on paths.  So although I know
it's a PITA, you don't have to specify a default for every dataset manually.

http://www.resc.rdg.ac.uk/trac/myocean-tools/wiki/WmsDetailedConfiguration

One day we'll figure out a better solution...

Cheers, Jon