Re: [thredds] Station Data Subset Service vs. OPeNDAP constraint expressions

  • Subject: Re: [thredds] Station Data Subset Service vs. OPeNDAP constraint expressions
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:43:25 -0600
On 10/13/2010 10:15 PM, Roy Mendelssohn wrote:

Id be interested in knowing which clients can handle relational
constraint expressions? The NetCDF clients cannot, because it falls
outside of the data model and API. I know you guys do a lot with
relational databases, so its not surprising if your software does.
Ive been working almost exclusively on top of collections of files
(netcdf, hdf, grib, bufr, etc). I have been on the lookout for new
solutions, but for now it seems that people need services that run
on top of those file collections.

Comments, please

Email exchange with dennis about whether the latest netcdf library
with opendap support can handle relational constraint expressions:

The code should be able to handle relational constraint
expressions. To be frank, however, I have only tested it on
synthetic data because I never could find any real data that
produced sequence data. This means that there are probably some
errors in it. However, I am glad to work with you to fix any bugs
or other issues.

So anything that can link to the latest netcdf distribution with
OpeNDAP enabled has such capabilities.

-Roy

Hi Roy:

Yes, the netcdf_java library has this capability also. But what I meant was
that it cant be done through the netcdf API in a transparent way. One has to
drop down into an opendap specific method. Ive been trying to figure out how to
build objects on top of this that can be used more generally; eg local or
remote access, etc.

John