[thredds] Custom authentication scheme avoiding redirects

Hi,

I'd like to be able to restrict access to a THREDDS server on a
per-dataset basis.  I note from the documentation
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/reference/RestrictedA
ccess.html) that the current scheme involves HTTP redirects and session
cookies.  However, some of the clients we use are not able to handle
redirects or cookies.

I would like to have per-dataset security which simply uses HTTP Basic
or Digest authentication without redirects or sessions.  I don't have an
immediate need for using SSL to encrypt passwords.  How can I go about
doing this?  I'd be comfortable creating new code that can be plugged in
to THREDDS if necessary.

Thanks,
Jon

--
Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre