[thredds] Number of file handles

We are running THREDDS 4.1.4 here and we have Java 1.6.0_13 with apache
tomcat 6.0.16.  For the past few days we are getting around 5GB-13GB a
day of this catalina error....

Apr 1, 2010 12:01:13 PM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket acceptConnections
WARNING: Exception executing accept
java.net.SocketException: *Too many open files*
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:384)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:453)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:421)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.accept(ChannelSocket.java:306)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.acceptConnections(ChannelSocket.java:660)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketAcceptor.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:870)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:690)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

I have increased the ulimit on the server to 2048 for number of open
files and we are still hitting that limit.  It keeps the log files down
to around 2GB a day, but is still an issue.  Recently it tends to hover
around 1200+ files open normally, but after I restart it drops down to
300-400.  If I force it to run the garbage collector it still is not
closing the file handles.  Any ideas on what may be going on?

Thanks,

Phil

--
Phil Cogbill
Computer Systems Analyst, STG, Inc., Government Contractor